Black Bean and Mango Salad

June 7, 2011

I live in an area that was once very rural; known for cattle raising and horse ranching.  While the rural feel is becoming a bit more urban as developers have changed the landscape of the community, it still has the status of a “western” town.  Riding my bike through the back roads, old farmhouses with broken fencing and overgrown land mix in with newly built homes.  Grazing horses can be seen in yards and occasional riders on horseback trot along the road.

The mango trees are full of ripe fruit and I can smell the sweetness as I pass by.  Some trees are so loaded with fruit that many have fallen before their owners can collect them all.  I’m so tempted to save a few from their rotting future, but I keep peddling by because although I do not have my own mango tree, I am very lucky to have some coworkers that do!

Salads are my summer meals especially those that can be prepared ahead of time and keep for a day or two.  Using canned black beans makes this really quick and easy.  The mango flavoring is in the salad and in the dressing.  I served this along with grilled tuna, but it is great on its own for lunch.

Black Bean, and Mango Salad

Adapted from Bobby Flay’s Boy Meets Grill

2 14 oz cans black beans, rinsed and drained

2-3 garlic cloves, finely minced

2 scallions, thinly sliced including the green

1 ripe mango, peeled, pitted and chopped

1 large tomato, seeded and diced

Mango Dressing, below

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Combine the beans, garlic, scallions and tomatoes in a large bowl.  Toss with the mango dressing and season with salt and pepper.  Serve at room temperature.  Serves 4.

Mango Dressing:

1 mango, peeled, pitted and coarsely chopped

3 tablespoons fresh lime juice

2 cloves garlic finely chopped

2 tablespoons chopped red onion

1/4 cup chopped cilantro

1/4 teaspoon cumin

1/4 cup olive oil

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

Place the mango, lime juice, garlic, onion, ciltantro and cumin in a blender and blend until smooth.  With the motor running, slowly add the olive oil until emulsified.  Season with salt and pepper.  Can be refrigerated for 1 day, serve at room temperature.  Makes more than enough for the salad above.

1. June 7, 2011 10:22 am

You’ve combined Miss A’s two favorite foods! Perfect! Now maybe I can get her to eat something for lunch. :) I’m thinking this would be really good in a tortilla as well. Yum!

• June 7, 2011 10:49 am

That’s a good idea! And dicing the mango smaller would be great to serve as a salsa with tortilla chips!

2. June 7, 2011 10:38 am

Oh mango dressing. You’re so lucky to live near mango groves. Great recipe. I love black bean salsa and adding mangos takes it to a whole new level.

3. June 7, 2011 1:41 pm

I have actually never seen a mango tree, but I can just smell them here over in New Jersey after reading your post! This recipe looks wonderful.

4. June 7, 2011 1:56 pm

Real fresh mangoes growing by the road? I can’t even express my jealousy. That said, I adore black beans and mangoes together, I just wish the price/freshness on the latter wasn’t so ridiculous.

5. June 7, 2011 2:45 pm

“The mango trees are full of ripe fruit and I can smell the sweetness as I pass by”

Aaaah, I’m so jealous! Closest thing to what I’d classify as a tropical fruit I can get growing in France is a peach, and they smell amazing in the summer. I can’t begin to imagine how wonderful it must be living close to mango groves. This dish sounds like a great combination, and I love the fusion of mango and cilantro (or coriander as us Europeans call it) – really nice taste.

6. June 7, 2011 3:43 pm

You are so lucky to live in an area where mangos are readily available..
    I have a very hard time finding good mangos and when I do they are real expensive

7. June 7, 2011 4:39 pm

I’m so jealous that you live near mango groves. They would be fantastic to have on hand. This salad looks spectacular! Bobby Flay never ceases to amaze. :)

8. June 7, 2011 4:55 pm

Oh I bet that is super delicious! I love the mango/bean combo… will need to try this over the summer!

9. June 7, 2011 5:38 pm

I”m not a black bean person,and I really don’t know why, but I love the ingredients you’ve combined in this dish. I just love mangos

10. June 7, 2011 6:05 pm

Now, this is smthing I know that I ll like for sure coz m a mango & bean person! Looks so so good & healthy! Thanks for sharing!

11. June 8, 2011 3:14 am

This salad looks so delicious!

12. June 8, 2011 7:36 am

Love combining those two together. I have done black beans and corn but never a fruit long with it. Love this idea and perfect for a side along with outdoor grilling- like chicken or shrimp! Perfect in my book!

13. June 8, 2011 5:22 pm

Lucky you to have mango trees growing nearby and friends who are willing to share! This mango dressing sounds really good – I’ll have to try it.

14. June 8, 2011 5:26 pm

Love all the ingredients in this dish. I too wish I had a mango tree in my backyard, though I’d have to move to Florida for that to happen.

15. June 16, 2011 2:17 am

Oooooh…how wonderful!!! I’m bookmarking this so I can make it these days! It’s perfect for summer, and I can’t wait to try the mango dressing! :)

16. July 19, 2011 10:50 am

Just wanted to let you know I made a salsa sometime like this but different. I added peaches and corn on the cob, but I decided to skip the dressing because I wanted just a regular salsa and not a salad. It was wonderful! I still want to try that dressing sometime though! :)