Whole Wheat Pumpkin Pancakes

October 10, 2011

For many years now I have maintained a tradition of giant blueberry pancakes for my birthday.  I wait all year to indulge completely in these pancakes.  It’s not that I deny myself but rather enjoy the anticipation of this once a year treat that makes it all the more special to me.  As my daughter so kindly states, I do get excited over the littlest of things.  And one of my other annual treats is these pumpkin pancakes.

Pumpkin pancakes will appear at my table at least twice during my pumpkin frenzy in October and November. I use whole wheat pastry flour as its texture is lighter than using regular whole wheat flour.  The pancakes are earthy, with the unmistakable spices of fall; cinnamon, cloves, ginger and nutmeg.   While the pancakes alone are moist, tender and fluffy; it’s the topping of the marinated dried cranberry, golden raisins and walnuts or pecans that always seems to get everyone’s attention.  Without fail, my guests are scooping up more of the topping and drizzling the liquor on their pancakes.  Now this topping is certainly not for the kiddies as the dried fruit and nuts have been swimming in Pumpkin Spice Liqueur and Kahlua.  A sprinkle of mini chocolate chips or granola in lieu of the spiked fruit will being smiles to the little ones faces.

To real maple syrup, I mix in some of my pumpkin spice syrup to enhance the pumpkin flavor.  A dollop on the side of whipped cream with freshly grated nutmeg could almost turn this breakfast into dessert!  These make about 8-10 pancakes, double the recipe for double the pancakes!

Pumpkin Pancakes

¼ teaspoon ground ginger

Wet ingredients:

1/3 cup canned pumpkin puree, not pumpkin pie filling

1  cup milk

1 egg, lightly beaten

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 tablespoons walnut oil or melted butter, cooled (plus extra for greasing the pan)

In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients, stirring well to mix all the spices into the flour.  In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients with a whisk until smooth.  Gently pour the wet into the dry and stir until combined and still a bit lumpy.  Do not overmix the batter as it will  over develop the gluten making tough pancakes.  Refrigerate the batter for 15 minutes or overnight.  Heat a griddle pan to medium heat, brushing on a light coating of butter.  Remove the batter from the refrigerator, but do not stir again as it will break up the air bubbles.  Scoop out ¼ cup portions for each pancake.  Allow to cook for 3 minutes per side, flipping over once.  To keep the pancakes warm while making batches, place cooked pancakes in 200 degree oven.  Serve immediately with the dried fruit topping and a maple pumpkin spiced syrup.

Dried Fruit Topping

½ cup dried cranberries

¼ cup golden raisins

½ cup chopped walnuts or pecans

2 tablespoons Pumpkin Spice Liqueur

1 tablespoon Kahlua

Combine all ingredients and allow to marry for at least an hour.

1. October 10, 2011 3:33 pm

I have never had American-style pancakes, not to mention pumpkin pancakes, so I look at your appealing pile of delicacies with eyes wide open!
    I have started only in recent years to see how I appreciate the same small traditional details for my birthday… It really makes a change! Happy Birthday! (if it’s not too late!)

• October 10, 2011 8:50 pm

OOPS…..it’s not my birthday!! I’m so sorry, this post was very misleading!! I do have blueberry pancakes on my birthday…which is in November!!! In the fall, I have pumpkin pancakes! I’m so automatically routine…

But I thank you all for your birthday wishes!! Early is better than late!!

• October 12, 2011 1:21 pm

I’m sorry I have misunderstood you! I will wish you happy birthday once more in November too!

2. October 10, 2011 3:37 pm

Oh, I love this recipe, and want to make it this weekend! Perfect because you can keep the batter overnight in the fridge…

I even have whole wheat pastry flour in the freezer! Perfect timing!

wonderful photo, like Fall on a plate –

and yes, happy Bday!!!!

3. October 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Yes, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, & nutmeg all scream “FALL!” to me, too. As good as these pancakes sound — and they do sound very good — your dried fruit topping sounds even better. I’d serve it over ice cream, pound cake, you name it — and of course, pancakes. :)

• October 10, 2011 8:51 pm

Love your ideas for the topping! And if I made homemade ice cream like you do, it would be awesome!

4. October 10, 2011 3:53 pm

These look amazing! Yum!

5. October 10, 2011 4:03 pm

The boozy topping sounds like the perfect thing to warm up with on a cool morning! I like making Grand Mariner or brandy reductions as toppings in the winter too.

6. October 10, 2011 4:21 pm

I love your version of pumpkin pancakes with you pumpkin spice spiked syrup! Very creative and festive for the season too. What a wonderful birthday breakfast! :)
    Today’s my son’s birthday too! Happy Birthday and hope you enjoy your day!

• October 10, 2011 9:01 pm

Thanks Lisa, but alas, it’s not my birthday. But how funny that it’s your son’s birthday today!! Happy birthday to him!!

7. October 10, 2011 4:26 pm

Happy Birthday! Wow! These look more than good! Saturday morning will be a good time to serve these to Ritchey – he’ll love them!

8. October 10, 2011 4:27 pm

Oh Linda! What a nice stack of pancakes, love it, especially topped with the dry fruits/nuts in syrup. Looks delicious!
    Hope you have a great week and Happy Birthday :-)

9. October 10, 2011 6:57 pm

Mmm, raisins! OK, I’ve been outed on that front. But I love these pancakes and I love the topping. Of course it has liquor. Mine would just be a lot of pecans, which I love.

10. October 10, 2011 7:17 pm

I love the addition of raisins. This looks great. Happy Birthday!

11. October 10, 2011 7:21 pm

Love everything about this dish from the flavors to the color-matching plate!

12. October 10, 2011 10:04 pm

I’m loving your fall repertoire of eats Linda… so much fun to work with all these aromatic spices and you’ve got the full range here. I can only imagine how flavourful and yummy these must be! Little pleasures get me excited too. How about early birthday wishes for November! :)

13. October 10, 2011 11:37 pm

I absolutely love whole wheat pancakes whenever I get around to making them. So I will definitely be saving this recipe

14. October 11, 2011 12:38 am

Oh my goodness. I am so hungry for these right now! Wow, these are awesome!

15. October 11, 2011 3:30 am

very lovely *sends empty plate over* :)

16. October 11, 2011 8:13 am

I almost never eat pancakes anymore…but I’d go back for seconds on these!

17. October 11, 2011 10:59 am

these make me excited for fall, they look delicious!

18. October 11, 2011 3:09 pm

Oh my goodness, these look incredible. The pancakes themselves look amazing but that topping just takes it right over the top!
    Oh, and I’m like you, my husband laughs at me because I get so excited about silly little things, especially in the area of food! :)

19. October 11, 2011 7:39 pm

Better and better: I know how to make pumpkin pancakes (and gingerbread pancakes too), but I never thought of putting Kahlua in maple syrup. Kitchen, here I come.

20. October 11, 2011 11:26 pm

I’m coming over for breakfast. I hope you don’t mind if I invite myself. This is my kind of meal Linda! Everything about it looks absolutely delicious and I love the plate you served this on – perfect! :)

21. October 12, 2011 8:18 am

I have never heard nor seen pumpkin spice liqeur? Very interested about this a I am assuming it brings such a great flavor to baking. I want to be at your house for breakfast this fall. The pancakes and the dried fruit topping look incredible!

22. October 13, 2011 8:09 am

Wish I could have that whole stack of pancakes all for myself!! I love pancakes, with all that syrup syrup soaked into them! Yummy… :-)

23. October 13, 2011 8:29 am

Why am I not sitting at your breakfast table right now Linda?! That looks like the best autmun inspired breakfast in history. So gorgeous,warm and comforting. And it has my best buddy, pumpkin!

24. October 14, 2011 5:29 am

A giant stack of pancakes on your birthday? Now there’s a tradition I can get behind. I love pancakes so much – it’s only recently that I properly started learning how to make really good, fluffy ones so I always try to dish them out whenever possible! Breakfast of champions! I never do anything adventurous with them though – love how you’ve spiced them up and added pumpkin. Sounds wonderful!

25. October 17, 2011 8:28 am

These look wonderful…pancakes made with pumpkin sound so delicious! Yum!

26. Martha permalink
    November 6, 2011 7:04 am

Hi Linda,
    Everything look scrumptious. I can wait to try the salad and the Tiramisu. I love all the info on getting prepared for Thanksgiving. I thank you so much for all your giving.
    Hugs