Pumpkin Cranberry Bread and Cranberry Pecan Butter

November 10, 2011

On Thanksgiving morning I want to wake up knowing that my espresso is ready to be brewed and breakfast is only moments away.  I’ve been busy prepping and planning for this day and one of the important things I do is plan for a relaxing morning.  Before the hustle begins, I can sit down and enjoy a nice slice of warm Pumpkin Cranberry Bread.  By making the bread a few weeks out and freezing it; I can defrost it the day before and gently re warm it in the oven or toaster while I’m doing my morning yoga.

The cranberry butter freezes just as nicely too adding a little special treat to top the bread.  This bread could also be served with your Thanksgiving dinner and since it makes two loaves, you can have one to try now and one for later!

Scones are also easy to prepare ahead of time and freeze until ready to bake.  Two seasonal favorites of mine are my Pumpkin Scones and Cranberry Rosemary Scones.

And for some exciting news, my Medjool Date and Walnut Bread won the Swanson Health Products Recipe Contest!!

Pumpkin Cranberry Bread

3 cups whole wheat white flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 ½ cups turbinado sugar

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon ground ginger

1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

¼ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg

1 15 oz can pumpkin

2/3 cup Greek plain yogurt

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

3 large eggs

1 cup picked-over fresh or frozen cranberries, coarsely chopped in food processor

Preheat oven to 350° F. and butter or spray two 9 x 5 loaf pans.

In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients, from the flour through the nutmeg.  In a separate bowl, mix together the pumpkin, yogurt, oil and egg, stirring to blend well.  Add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir to combine.  Add in the chopped cranberries.  Do not overmix the dough.

Divide the dough between the two pans and bake for 1 hour, or until a tester comes out clean, and cool in pan on a rack 10 minutes. Turn bread out onto rack and cool completely. Bread may be made 3 days ahead, wrapped in foil and refrigerated.  Or freeze for up to a month.  Gently re warm or serve at room temperature.

Cranberry Pecan Butter

½ cup of unsalted butter (1 stick) at room temperature

½ cup fresh cranberries

¼ cup pecans

2 tablespoons agave or honey (sweeten to taste)

Process all in food processor until blended well.  Store in refrigerator up to one week or freeze for up to a month.

This bread is part of my Thanksgiving Countdown.  If you’d like to share your favorite bread for Thanksgiving, please use Linky Tools below.

Powered by Linky Tools

Click here to enter your link and view this Linky Tools list…

1. November 10, 2011 9:39 am

This is definitely worthy of being Thanksgiving breakfast! What’s not to love with the combination of pumpkin and cranberries and spices! And your Cranberry Pecan Butter sends it over the top! Well done!

• November 10, 2011 10:29 am

It is a nice blend of tart and sweet…not too sweet tho which is why I enjoy it for breakfast.

2. November 10, 2011 9:50 am

Congratulations on winning the contest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This pumpkin loaf is also a winner!

3. November 10, 2011 10:00 am

those cranberries look amazing, I would not be able to freeze it and save it :)

• November 10, 2011 10:30 am

You have to wrap it up quicky and freeze!! But that’s why there are two loaves, one for now and one for later!

4. November 10, 2011 10:18 am

I complete forgot to congratulate you on your award! Everything you fix is so yummy it doesn’t surprise me in the least! Way to go!

5. November 10, 2011 10:23 am

Congrats, Linda, on winning the contest! The judges realized what we’ve known all along: you’re one talented cook! I thought this recipe for cranberry bread was something — and then I saw the cranberry-rosemary scone recipe. The scent of those scones baking in the morning would make me think I was in heaven. Can ya tell that I really love the aroma of rosemary? 2 great recipes and a winning contest entry. This is one heckuva post!

• November 10, 2011 10:33 am

Aww, thanks John! I think all of us bloggers are winners!! I’ve learned so many new tips, tricks and recipes. And with your blog, family memories and great recipes! I too love the smell of rosemary. I have a HUGE bush in my yard as there is no cold weather here to die out!

6. November 10, 2011 10:41 am

Congratulations! I like the idea of a leisurely breakfast before the chaos. This sounds lovely, though I can’t help but notice how green it is out your window. We had flurries here this morning!

• November 10, 2011 3:19 pm

Oooh…that makes me shiver!! But, yes, it’s very green here…not at all Fall like!!

7. November 10, 2011 10:44 am

Oh, my favourite plate again! It is ideal to serve this cranberry bread. I must try to find cranberries (not easy here!).
    Congratulations for winning the contest! You totally deserved it!

8. November 10, 2011 10:44 am

Ooh, this bread looks great especially with the dates!

9. November 10, 2011 11:20 am

CONGRATS on the win! And on making tasty things with cranberries. I love cranberries. Those rosemary scones sound great, but I’ll never say no to a scone.

10. November 10, 2011 12:22 pm

What a great bread. I’d love to wake up to this. That butter really makes it special too. Congrats on the win!

11. November 10, 2011 1:44 pm

Looks delicious! I love all the natural ingredients you’ve used and the greek yogurt for moisture. Really lovely.

12. November 10, 2011 3:09 pm

Linda! You are so Zen. :) I love it. I absolutely love that you plan time to relax on Thanksgiving morning. What a novel idea! ;) This bread looks delicious too. We just made pumpkin cookies and pumpkin muffins. Now I think it’s time for a pumpkin cranberry bread! (With the butter of course – that sounds amazingly good!)

• November 10, 2011 3:21 pm

Oh yes, I can relax now, but when I had little ones like yours I had to get up VERY early to get some quiet time!! I do hope to see your pumpkin cookies and muffins posted soon!!!

13. November 10, 2011 5:03 pm

As I´m planning on popping over for Thanksgiving Day lunch, I may as well arrive early for breakfast and help you out with the bread and butter! Congrats on winning -´well deserved, cos you´re a fab cook!

14. November 10, 2011 5:46 pm

The pumpkin cranberry bread sounds good, but cranberry pecan butter I think that classifies you as top tier glutton. ;-)

Congrats on winning the contest!

15. November 10, 2011 7:18 pm

Yeah ! Congrats on winning the contest. This bread is right up my alley – I love cranberries and pumpkin bread. It’s going on the list for Thanksgiving week. Also the butter – can’t wait to try it on a biscuit.

16. November 10, 2011 10:45 pm

I love that cranberry pecan butter!

17. November 11, 2011 7:37 am

Congrats on the prize!
    Not that we didn’t know how awesome your recipes are – now the wider world will find out!
    Lovin’ this recipe – quick breads are the perfect breakfast!

18. November 11, 2011 8:11 am

You just took this bread to a whole new level. First not only is it pumpkin but pumpkin with cranberries and then second you tossed out the normal everyday butter for the most fantastic yummy tasting pecan butter ever! You are seriously so creative! I love it

19. November 11, 2011 8:18 am

Linda… this bread is so pretty and I just love the way you’ve used your window in the photograph…perfect presentation. I like that you added cranberry and yogurt to your pumpkin loaf and what a great idea to make a butter to serve with it! So creative and festive. Congratulations on your Medjool Date and Walnut Bread award! You deserve it :)

20. November 11, 2011 10:34 am

Congrats on winning the contest! Date nut bread is so delicious with cream cheese, of course! Your cranberry bread is lovely! How nice to serve it with cranberry butter! Yummy!

21. November 11, 2011 1:28 pm

Congrats on winning, Linda!!! Very well deserved. That’s so exciting. But oh man, when I read the title of this post and saw the pictures, all I could say was ‘holy crap.’ As in, that looks/sounds amazing. I love that you can freeze bread. Makes it much easier so I don’t eat the entire loaf!

22. November 11, 2011 5:31 pm

This bread sounds and looks AMAZING! I have never heard of cranberry butter but it must be so addicting with this bread. I am so excited for you that you won the contest!!!! :) High fives all around! Yay!

23. November 12, 2011 6:28 pm

Wonderful looking bread… that butter looks *amazing* too. I can imagine it makes a perfect breakfast. A little sweet moment to yourself before the busy day ahead!

24. November 17, 2011 11:36 pm

Lovely-sounding butter… maybe use maple syrup to sweeten it?

• November 18, 2011 3:00 pm

Yes, you certainly could! Would add another layer of flavor to it, more earthy!