Sicilian Fig Cookies

December 20, 2011

I absolutely love the holiday season!!  In every way, the season is a magical and happy time!  Through the bustle of it all, I remind myself I am not overwhelmed… I’m overblessed!  I’m blessed with a sweet, loving daughter, a caring and kind son, and two little chihauhaus that love me endlessly!  And just when I least expect it….surprises come my way, like a visit from The Fairy Hobmother!!

The Fairy Hobmother from Appliances Online with the “Best Washing Machine”  stopped by my blog after seeing me at both John from The Bartolini Kitchens and Lisa at Smart Food and Fit.  She definitely has a sweet tooth and was particularly taken by my White Chocolate Hazelnut Cranberry Cheesecake!!  And as her mission is to bring joy and happiness to the world’s bloggers by providing teats for great hard work in the blogosphere, she awarded me with an Amazon Gift Card!!

If you would like to have The Fairy Hobmother visit your blog, make sure to leave me a comment and make a wish!  Your wish may come true with a visit from her too!!

I think she’d like these fig cookies.  You certainly do not need to be Italian to enjoy them.  Another family recipe, made with love and just enough sprinkles :)  They are always well received on any cookie tray and at every party!  Santa approved too!

Sicilian Fig Cookies

For the dough:

2 ½ cups unbleached all purpose flour

¼ teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

¼ cup unsalted butter

1 cup sugar

2 eggs, room temp

2 tablespoons heavy cream

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1 teaspoon anise extract

For the filling:

½ cup dried figs – cover with boiling water and allow to soak for 20 minutes, drain

½ cup raisins

½ cup walnuts

½ cup dates

½ cup dried apricots

1/3 cup apricot preserves

3 tablespoons dark rum

1 teaspoon cinnamon powder

½ teaspoon ground cloves

** optional – 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips!

For the dough:  Combine the flour, soda and salt in a medium bowl and set aside.  In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter and sugar.  Add the eggs one at a time beating well.  Stir in the cream, vanilla and anise.  Add in the dry ingredients, combine well.  Wrap the dough in waxed paper and chill in the refrigerator several hours or overnight.

For the filling:  Combine all the ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth and slightly chunky.  Can also be made ahead and refrigerated.

To make the fig cookies:  Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Divide the dough and the filling in 4 sections.  Working with one dough at a time, roll the dough into a long, narrow rectangle, about ¼ inch thick.  Form the filling into a thin log the same size as the dough.  Place the filling in the center of the dough folding the dough over the filling sealing the ends.  Cut into small pieces and place on parchment lined baking sheets.  Repeat with all 4.  Bake for 8-10 minutes until lightly brown.  Cool on wire rack.

For the frosting:  Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large bowl.  Add in ½ lb confectioners’ sugar and about ¼ cup milk.  Stir in the milk slowly to reach desired consistency.  Brush on cookies and sprinkle with red and green sugar.  Makes 5-6 dozen cookies, depending on size of cookies.

1. December 20, 2011 12:58 pm

These are wonderful Linda and I’m glad you got a visit from the fairy!

2. December 20, 2011 2:27 pm

Congrats on your surprise – well deserved! These cookies remind me of something my grandmother used to buy for us as a treat called fig rolls…haven´t had them for years and would never have thought of making them. They look so pretty too :)

3. December 20, 2011 3:05 pm

I just snacked on the last of my giant bag of figs this morning–if only I’d known this recipe was coming! Oh well, just another excuse to go buy another 2lb bag of figs from Costco :) But seriously, these sound amazing and like something my parents would love–I’m taking this recipe home with me for the holiday weekend–if we run out of stollen and gingerbread, I’m making these!

4. December 20, 2011 3:20 pm

Great seasonal treats!

5. December 20, 2011 4:02 pm

Aaah, these look like an infinitely more delicious version of these fig rolls they sell over here. The ones here are so dry and dull – these look so much more exciting. Pinning this – must give it a try in the near year – thanks for sharing :)

• December 21, 2011 8:03 am

These are definitely not dry and dull! Hope you get a chance to try. The filling is thick and full of flavor.

6. December 20, 2011 4:26 pm

Glad you got a visit from the fairy…very exciting! These cookies sound amazing. I think I could eat that entire tray right now! I mean, I really shouldn’t considering I just ate a huge lunch, but they look seriously worth it.

7. December 20, 2011 5:39 pm

Mmmmm. I keep wondering what else you’re going to post that I’m going to add to my Christmas Eve dinner. ;) Congrats on the fairy visit!!!

• December 21, 2011 8:05 am

Thanks Kristy, surprisingly kids have always liked these too despite all the chunky dried fruits!

8. December 20, 2011 7:40 pm

These are so sweet and unusual, i think i will like them a lot!! Good for you getting a fairy godmother christmas pressie.. lovely.. c

9. December 20, 2011 9:29 pm

Hurrah for the Fairy Hobmother! So glad she gave you a gift and I hope she does so with others, too. These cookies sound wonderful, Lynda. I would have loved to have seen the cookies you left for Santa. That merry old Elf probably would have stuck around your place hoping for a 2nd plate, much to the chagrin of your neighbors.

• December 21, 2011 8:12 am

Santa was always left a nice variety of treats!! And don’t forget the reindeer, they also had to have a plate!

10. December 20, 2011 10:05 pm

I’m sure the Fairy Hobmother will love these cookies! Your Italian Tutu Cookies I made were fantastic (one bag safely stored in the freezer for this weekend!)! As for a wish, I already have mine since Linton and Kate will be home – what more could I want? Have a wonderful Christmas with your son and daughter!

• December 21, 2011 8:13 am

I’m so glad you liked them! I hope you too get a nice surprise from the Fairy Hobmother!

11. December 21, 2011 12:08 am

They’re like festive, Italian fig newtons but way more delicious!

12. December 21, 2011 11:34 am

Linda, Oh these look so delicious! Pretty cookies….pretty plate. I love figs and would love to make these. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

13. December 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Hey, Linda. Just in case you need something else to do(!) I’ve nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award. Congratulations! You get a link in my next post (out later today, I hope) and the pleasure of nominating fifteen other blogs, plus revealing seven things about yourself in your next blog. Enjoy — Sharyn

• December 30, 2011 2:32 pm

Sharyn, thank you so much!! I’ve been trying hard over the holidays to keep up with my blogging, reading and commenting! I so appreciate your nomination and your thinking of me.

14. December 21, 2011 4:02 pm

Congrats on your visit! These fig cookies look so festive and yummy. I can’t figure out which recipes to try from your blog…i want to make them all but don’t have the time!

15. December 21, 2011 6:25 pm

Susan, these cookies look great, must taste so good with all the dry fruits in it. Love how you decorated, perfect for this Season.
    Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and your loved ones :-)

16. December 21, 2011 6:26 pm

Sorry, I meant Linda ;-)

17. December 21, 2011 10:44 pm

Who wouldn’t love these cookies and congrats on receiving a visit from the Hobmother!

18. December 21, 2011 11:32 pm

I am not a huge lover of figs, but these Sicilian Fig Cookies definitely look delectable and delicious. Wonderful recipe

19. December 22, 2011 9:06 am

I’ve been meaning to bake up a fig dessert. These look great! Glad you got a visit from the hobmother!

20. December 23, 2011 7:54 am

Love figs, but I’m having a hard time keeping up with you! This one is being bookmarked for sure!

21. January 13, 2012 3:47 pm

I LOVE these cookies and finally have a recipe. Will bookmark the recipe.
    -Lisa

22. Hill of Dreams Farm permalink
    December 13, 2012 7:12 pm

tried these and they came out absolutely Fantastic! will be baking several more batches for gifts. So glad I stumbled upon your recipes! Merry Christmas from ‘Cnoc na mBriongloidi – – Hill of Dreams Farm’!

• December 14, 2012 2:42 pm

I’m so glad to hear this! This has always been my favorite recipe and loved by everyone! Thanks for letting me know! Happy holidays!

23. December 28, 2012 8:44 pm

These are absolutely gorgeous and look delicious. I have not eaten this cookie since my grandmother would make them. She was actually from Naples Italy. I love these!!

24. Todd Grayson permalink
    January 11, 2013 12:25 pm

I made these last night and baked them this morning. They are wonderful. I’ve made a couple dozen disappear already, with rave reviews all around. I’ll use 1/4 tsp of cloves next time, but this recipe is a winner. Right up there with my lemon-coconut candy cookies…

1. These are a Few of My Favorite Posts —2011 « Sweet And Crumby