Warm Orange Honey Biscuits with Orange Mascarpone Spread

January 20, 2012

Whenever my daughter comes home for a visit, cooking and baking doubles!  Not that she eats that much but rather I like to send her off with lots of love, and in my world that means, food!  And along with that, I also like to make special meals we can share together.

We had these biscuits for breakfast over last weekend.  A late breakfast; in fact, we can call it brunch as Gina pretty much gets up close to the noon hour when she comes home.  I really don’t mind, it actually works out perfectly.  She comes home, we spend time together, I go to bed and she goes out with her friends!  I wake up early; take a bike ride, start playing in the kitchen and she wakes to the aromas of freshly baked goodies!

She and I got the idea for these biscuits from a cookbook she gave me for Christmas.  It’s a visual cookbook, Quick and Easy – Frame by Frame.  She obviously was sold on the pics as page by page are gorgeous, tempting food photos, from start to finish rather than a written recipe.   The “recipe” was actually for a honey muffin which caught our attention but decided to tweak it to be more like a biscuit or scone.

For an extra creamy sweetness, I love to make flavored spreads, either using mascarpone or butter as the base and adding in ingredients to compliment what I’m serving.  Cream cheese could be used as well but I prefer mascarpone as its flavor is gentler and lighter than cream cheese and is easily spreadable.  It’s almost always in my fridge. I’ll use it to add a bit of thickness and creaminess to some of my dishes.  It’s a triple creamy cheese, sold in small containers; it is more expensive than cream cheese and cannot always be substituted for cream cheese as its delicateness will not be as firm, i.e., as in a frosting.

Warm Orange Honey Biscuits with Orange Mascarpone Spread

1 1/2 cup self rising flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon turbinado (raw) sugar

½ teaspoon ground cardamom

½ teaspoon salt

¼ cup unsalted butter, chilled

¼ cup orange blossom honey

2/3 cup yogurt

1 egg, beaten well

Orange zest from one orange

2 tablespoons orange blossom honey mixed with 1 teaspoon Grand Marnier or orange juice for glazing tops after baking

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Grease six ramekins with butter or a baking sheet.  In a mixer with the paddle attachment, or large bowl with a pastry cutter, or your finger tips in a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, spice and salt and mix to combine.  Add in the chilled butter pieces and quickly mix until the butter is thoroughly cut into the flour, resembling coarse meal.  In a separate bowl, combine the yogurt, honey, egg and zest and mix well.  Add to the dry ingredients and stir to combine.  The batter will be thick.  Spoon batter into greased ramekins or drop the biscuits on a greased baking sheet.  Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.  Remove from oven and brush on honey/orange juice mix.   Serve warm.

For the Orange Mascarpone Spread, I simply took about ¼ cup of room temperature mascarpone cheese and mix with chopped oranges, splash of Grand Marnier and orange blossom honey to taste.  Adjust amounts to your preference; substitute unsalted butter for an Orange Butter Spread.

1. January 20, 2012 9:29 am

Love the flavorings in these: cardamom and orange and turbinado, oh my.

2. January 20, 2012 9:33 am

This would be perfect for a nice slow Sunday!!!

3. January 20, 2012 9:43 am

What fun you and your daughter have – very special to send her back with food too.
    What a lovely recipe and I love your adaption.
    :-) Mandy

• January 22, 2012 7:06 pm

Thank you Mandy, I cherish every visit from my daughter and love watching her grow up!!

4. January 20, 2012 9:49 am

Aren’t these beautiful and to share them with a daughter – I’m envious!

5. January 20, 2012 9:50 am

Oh, yum! Sounds great, Karen!

6. January 20, 2012 9:56 am

Gorgeous – I´m really enjoying all these citrus recipes. I love the way you baked them in little pots too, so pretty!

• January 22, 2012 7:08 pm

I thought using ramekins would help keep the shape and be individual treats!!

7. January 20, 2012 10:35 am

WOW, I wish I could sleep till noon and have warm baked goods waiting for me! She’s a lucky one!

8. January 20, 2012 10:42 am

Ahhh…Sunday morning pleasures! Such lovely biscuits…love the flavors. You talking about your daughter reminds me of when mine were still in college. A very nice time in your life!

• January 22, 2012 7:09 pm

It is a nice time as she left my little girl and is become quite the smart, young lady!

9. January 20, 2012 10:54 am

Mmmmmm………..

10. January 20, 2012 10:59 am

These look and sound lovely! I’m glad you got special time with your daughter over the weekend.

11. January 20, 2012 11:32 am

Looks and sounds so good!

12. January 20, 2012 12:35 pm

Your daughter is a really lucky girl! The flavours in this sound awesome and I love how you bake them in ramekin dishes.

13. January 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Is it bad that I’m drooling over myself right now? Man these sound good.

14. January 20, 2012 1:03 pm

That spread really puts these over the top. Looks just wonderful.

15. January 20, 2012 1:28 pm

Oh goodness, what a luckey daughter you have!! My toes are curling… your orange mascarpone spread sounds DE.lish. There’s just something about honey, orange and biscuits… a natural harmony :)

16. January 20, 2012 1:30 pm

These look delicious! Simple lovely! The spread sounds wonderful – and something I could use with other recipes! I always send lots of food with my children when they leave, too! Another similarity!

17. January 20, 2012 2:01 pm

Yummy… all I needed to read was warm orange Honey biscuits and my mind begin to wonder and want to taste these delicious biscuits. They look incredible

18. January 20, 2012 2:20 pm

You’re too sweet, what a good momma. :) Whenever I visit home, my mom tends to do the same thing…sending me back with Tupperwares full of leftovers and the like. No complaints here! These biscuits sound delicious and that orange mascarpone spread? Errrr yes please!

• January 22, 2012 7:13 pm

You’re a lucky girl then as I’ve learned your mom’s a fabulous cook!!

19. January 20, 2012 2:50 pm

The flavors in your biscuits sound divine. Cardamom, honey and orange…such a lovely combination. Can I come over sleep until noon and wake up to fresh baked goods?
    Pleeeease.

20. January 20, 2012 3:04 pm

These would be wonderful to come home to, Linda. Add that spread of yours and, if it were me, I wouldn’t leave the breakfast table until well into the afternoon. I agree with you about mascarpone versus cream cheese — and I say that even though I’m in the process of making cream cheese for a future post! Not to worry. Mascarpone is on the schedule, too.

• January 22, 2012 7:16 pm

See, isn’t that what Italians do, hang out at the table for hours!!! Now what is this about making cream cheese?? I’ve never heard of anyone making homemade cream cheese or mascarpone….I can’t wait to this!!

• January 22, 2012 9:45 pm

They’re scheduled, Linda. In 2 weeks it’s goat cheese, to be followed in a couple weeks by cream cheese. A few weeks more and it’s mascarpone, after that it’s 2 types of mozzarella. I may throw in feta, too, if I have success with it. I won’t post a recipe unless I can easily make it.

21. January 20, 2012 3:09 pm

Ah, those look so lovely and worthy of time set aside to linger over. Thanks for the reminder to do so. :)

22. January 20, 2012 3:40 pm

Linda!!! these are gorgeous! I love them! c

23. January 20, 2012 4:10 pm

Love the idea of using ramekins to make these muffins! Plus, I’ve been deperately trying to get rid of my self-rising flour. I never seem to use it!

24. January 20, 2012 6:32 pm

Reblogged this on theconservativehillbilly.

25. January 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Beautiful and they look delicious. I especially like the mascarpone spread!

26. January 20, 2012 7:42 pm

Great flavors and gorgeous!

27. January 20, 2012 9:31 pm

I was looking forward to reading this post all day after seeing it in my inbox earlier today. Totally worth the wait – YUM! The mascarpone cheese puts this over the top for me easily. And I love the sound of a weekend with a grown daughter. Gives me something to look forward to someday. :)

• January 22, 2012 7:19 pm

Having a grown daughter is so wonderful as we become more like “friends”. But let that time come slowly because I so miss her being a little girl!!!

28. January 21, 2012 12:05 pm

I love cooking with my oldest daughter too – my youngest isn’t into it – YET! Hey you know it’s “orange” month over at The Orange Bee. Hmmmm…orange biscuits with honey, another favorite of mine, sound delightful!

• January 22, 2012 7:20 pm

This is a great month for citrus!! My daughter actually was not into any cooking when she was growing up. It wasn’t until she got to college and had to cook cuz Mom did not get her a food plan!!

29. January 21, 2012 1:23 pm

Sounds like you and your daughter have a special relationship! You are a terrific mom! :) I love how you tweaked the recipe to make it more like a biscuit. Great idea using Mascarpone cheese and honey!

30. January 21, 2012 2:34 pm

Nicely done!

31. January 21, 2012 5:23 pm

These looks so good – and I love the idea of a marscapone spread instead of cream cheese – and flavoring it, too – genius!

32. January 22, 2012 8:58 am

Wow Linda, what an amazing breakfast – I’m totally pinning this for Valentine’s day this year methinks :D I love orange with mascarpone – such a fantastic combination and I can just imagine the flavours from the biscuits! Beautiful :)

33. January 22, 2012 9:08 am

These look so amazing! Thanks so much for sharing with us! :)
    Hope your having a great weekend so far!

34. January 22, 2012 11:00 am

Orange and mascarpone spread sounds heavenly on just about anything. Your biscuits are gorgeous and how sweet it is that you bake for her when she comes home. She must love waking up to those aromas!

• January 22, 2012 7:26 pm

Thanks Geni, I’ve been using the spread on my toast and bagels…I’m always playing with my food and adding in extras!!

35. January 22, 2012 2:58 pm

That’s so lovely that you go to so much effort when Gina comes home. You must have great times together. Her schedule when she’s home sounds very familiar! Those biscuits straight out of the oven served with marscarpone cream sound and look fabulous. I can just picture the cream melting inside the warm biscuit. Great recipe Linda.

• January 22, 2012 7:27 pm

Thanks Charlie, I know you can relate with your children right about the same age!!

36. January 22, 2012 4:04 pm

I love how you are having a citrus January :D
    As usual, all your recipes are looking and of course tasting brilliant – I especially love these biscuits which seem a right breakfast treat!

37. January 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Both the biscuits and the spread sound fantastic. Thanks for sharing one more citrus recipe :-)

38. January 22, 2012 10:35 pm

NOM! I usually do the baking when I go home but I’m going to have to tell my Mom about these ;) The mascarpone is perfect. Thank you for sharing!!

39. January 23, 2012 7:46 am

you are a jem! I love these. They look so warm and inviting and delicious. The orange mascarpone is to die for

40. January 23, 2012 12:35 pm

Oh, biscuits, how I love you! And no massive amounts of butter in these?? Bookmarking for the next time I have some soy yogurt on hand!

41. February 6, 2012 5:09 pm

The biscuits do sound lovely, but it’s the spread that gets me particularly hungry here!

1. All Fired Up « Eat, Play, Love