Roasted Sweet and White Potato Medley

November 13, 2013

roasted potato2If I could pick my one favorite way to serve potatoes, it’s roasted.  Rosemary, oregano, garlicky olive oil infused.  Crispy salty edges and buttery soft inside.  Most recipes prepare roasted potatoes diced or cut in small wedges and I’ve made them in that way endless times.  It’s almost an automatic side when I think of any roasted meats….lamb, okay, roasted potatoes…roasted chicken, most definitely….roasted salmon, yep….roasted Italian sausages, of course who doesn’t love sausages with roasted potatoes and peppers, ….roasted Turkey, hmmm….Tday is coming up……and even with bbq ribs and as side for brunch!

But after awhile, I needed a change.  My inner artistic, eat with your eyes, self was getting a tad bored with the usual diced up look.  So, (I had to search my archives to find the exact date – truly I am so meticulous, it even drives me crazy!)  way back in 2009, as I was flipping through Every Day Food Magazine, a photo of sliced roasted potatoes immediately caught my attention!

I’ve changed up the recipe in so many ways, different herbs, garlic or sundried tomatoes instead of shallots, using sweet potatoes only, or a mix of both as in this one, olive oil only and a gremolata topping of parsley, parmesan, garlic and lemon zest .  Honestly I don’t think you can screw this up no matter how you change it up!

What also makes this great for gatherings versus making the hasselback type (using the whole potato and sliced partially through) is that you can serve yourself just a few slices rather than a whole potato which is just a bit much for a huge holiday spread.  A mandolin is necessary for the thin slices, but with patience and slicing thin with a knife, it certainly will work just as well.

Roasted Sweet and White Potato Medley

adapted from Every Day Food Magazine

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted or ghee

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil infused with garlic (see below)

2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled

2 lbs. sweet potatoes, peeled

4 shallots, thickly sliced lengthwise

4 sprigs rosemary

1/4 cup fresh oregano

Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper

Smoked paprika

Garlic Oil:  In a saucepan, gently heat 1 cup of olive oil.  Add in the individual cloves from one whole garlic bulb, having removed the skins and slightly smashed.  Gently heat the oil / garlic mixture over medium heat for about 8-10 minutes.  Remove and allow to cool.  Garlic Oil will keep for about 1 week, refrigerated.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a small bowl, combine butter and olive oil.  Brush the bottom of a 9 inch baking dish with some of the butter/oil mixture.  With a sharp knife or mandolin, slice the sweet potatoes very thinly crosswise.  Keep the slices together as you cut them and arrange potatoes slices vertically in the baking dish.

roasted potato prep

Then slice the white potato and slide one white potato between each sweet potato slice.  Wedge shallots throughout. Drizzle on remaining butter/oil mixture.  Sprinkle with salt and pepper, smoked paprika and chopped herbs.  Bake for about 1 1/2 hours until potatoes are cooked through with a crisp top.   Serves 8.

1. November 13, 2013 4:25 pm

That looks like a great way to do roast spuds ;-)

2. November 13, 2013 4:30 pm

Gorgeous! One and a half hours, well, that probably explained why the only time I tried to make Hasselbach potatoes they turned out raw in the center, and I was so unhappy never made them again

this is really a spectacular-looking dish, you are inspiring me to make it….

• November 14, 2013 1:55 pm

I know, it’s a long cooking time! and, like you, when I’ve not cooked it the full time, it was not right. This is why its great with roasted meats, throw it in when you do the meat – and even if it is on a lower temp like with the turkey, I will just cook it even longer!

3. November 13, 2013 4:33 pm

I love potatoes and this looks fabulous.

4. November 13, 2013 6:24 pm

Oh, these look very delicious!

5. November 13, 2013 6:53 pm

Roasting potatoes is my favorite way to eat them, both sweet and regular. And like you, I’ve grown tired of the dice and have been doing wedges, but I love this idea! The flavors are perfect and so is the presentation. Thanks for sharing, Linda!

• November 14, 2013 1:57 pm

Hi Betsy, Actually I love roasting all veggies, the caramelizing and crispness AND easy way to go, makes it my favorite method!

6. November 13, 2013 7:19 pm

What an absolutely beautiful dish. I love this…

7. November 14, 2013 1:58 am

These look amazing. I love the look of these and must try to recreate this dish. I love Hasselback potatoes and this is taking it to another level xx

• November 14, 2013 2:00 pm

Thanks Charlie, very similar to hasselback potatoes, if you’ve made them before, just cut all the way through!

8. November 14, 2013 11:51 am

These look yummy, I love how you plated them! Bf and I were just talking about infusing olive oils. Do you know if we would do it by cooking it like you have?

• November 14, 2013 2:03 pm

To infuse oils, yes do it as I wrote above. Just heat up the oil with the garlic, simmer – don’t let the garlic burn, and cool to room temperature. For herbs, I just put oil in a separate glass container and drop in rosemary, sometimes with crushed red pepper and allow it to sit for a day or two. You don’t want the oils to sit around long, just start to use them in a few days!

9. November 14, 2013 1:39 pm

They really do look so very pretty and I bet they tasted great!

10. November 14, 2013 11:41 pm

I am definitely making these. I love how it looks and I too, love roasted veggies – especially potatoes.

11. November 15, 2013 2:50 pm

simply delicious! I’ve been meaning to make this with potato “dominos.” Now I know I must!

12. November 15, 2013 4:43 pm

These are totally beautiful and scrumptious looking Linda. I so miss coming here and am glad I am here today. Life has been a roller coaster this year but I drop in when I can. I always love coming here and feel like I am at your table when I read your posts and imagine the delectable food.

• November 18, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi Geni, I do miss you!! I’m still riding my roller coaster and praying we both get to the end of this crazy ride soon!! Take care.

13. November 18, 2013 7:22 pm

Oh I so agree – there’s nothing like fabulously roasted potatoes – yours look scrumptious!
    Mary x

14. November 19, 2013 2:00 am

I love the idea of combining white potatoes and sweet potatoes! This sounds delicious and is a perfect side dish for T-Day! Lovely post.

15. November 19, 2013 10:41 pm

And here again, you have a wonderful new recipe that I can use for guests! I’ve made hasslebacks and not even blogged about it yet. Now I need to revisit them and try them your way. I’m a big fan of sweet potatoes and yams and would love this!