Savory Sundried Tomato and Herb Biscotti

December 12, 2013

Savory Sundried Tomato biscottiStep aside crackers, a new love has entered into this Spicegirl’s life.  Happy hour has just gotten a bit happier.  Wine and cheese met a savory new companion to take to the party.  The flavors mingled, flirted and fell in love.

You never know when someone special will come into your life, in just a wink of an eye, a casual smile, a knowing look.  Or in this case, an unexpected email, from a Savoring follower, describing a savory cracker recipe full of butter that she wondered could be possibly made into a biscotti?

I had been playing around with the idea of another appetizer/savory biscotti lately, something similar to my Red Wine Biscotti.   I was away for the weekend when Liz suggested a biscotti with gruyere cheese, walnuts and thyme.  Just the thought of that had me so inspired to get back to my kitchen to test it out!

Eager to make a batch, I used what I had on hand, smoked gouda and sundried tomatoes.  I basically followed the recipe for the Red Wine Biscotti and it turned out just perfect!  I love it when I don’t have to keep tweaking a recipe to get it just right!  Easily this can be adapted to using nuts instead of the sundried tomato, or even in addition to.  Liz made some with Pecorino Romano and aged Mozzarella, toasted walnuts, and a mix of rosemary/thyme/basil for the herbs and black pepper.  In several emails back and forth we were both thinking of endless other variations!

Savory Sundried Tomato biscotti prebakeThe dough was perfectly manageable, not too sticky, formed and rolled beautifully into two logs.  After the first bake, I sliced the biscotti thinner than what I would for a “cookie” biscotti and therefore, while I like to stand up my biscotti during the second bake, I had to lay them flat and turn them over after 10 minutes of baking.

Savory Sundried Tomato biscotti 2ndbakeCooled completely, they are not hard as a cracker, but perfect crispy enough to dip into wine, top with a bit of  jam or tapenade, or a slice of cheese.  They are perfect to make ahead and can be frozen; which I quickly needed to do so I would not nibble away at the entire batch!

Savory Sundried Tomato and Herb Biscotti

dry ingredients:

2 ½ cups all-purpose unbleached flour or whole/wheat white flour

1 ½ teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon Sea salt

3 tablespoons herbs de Provence

wet ingredients:

1/2 cup white wine

1/4  cup extra virgin olive oil

2 eggs

1 cup gouda, grated, or cheese of your choice

2 -3 tablespoons sundried tomatoes, reconstituted in boiling water, drained, then diced

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Using a food processor, combined all dry together in the processor, then added in the wet, processing until a ball of dough forms – sticky but very manageable to form into two logs.  Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees, allow to rest 10 minutes, reducing oven temp to 325 degrees.

Slice thin and return to oven for 10 minutes.  I normally stand up my biscotti and bake for 20 minutes but because I sliced these thin, I laid them on their sides, bake for 10 minutes, turn and bake an additional 10 on the other side till crisp.  Store covered.  Makes about 3 dozen.

1. December 12, 2013 3:19 pm

the first time I came across savory biscotti was in a Martha Stewart cookbook, darn it. I’ve always wanted to make a couple of varieties, but had no reason to. You’ve now motivated me to follow through on my plan, and this variety looks spectacular!!!

• December 13, 2013 6:07 pm

I’m starting to find a lot of different savory biscotti – even pepperoni to dip in sauce!

2. December 12, 2013 3:23 pm

Savory biscotti – somehow I never think to make them. These look fabulous and what a great appetizer accompaniment. I like the idea of the addition of the sundried tomatoes. I bet it gives the biscotti great flavor. I have bookmarked this recipe. Thanks for sharing it.

• December 13, 2013 6:08 pm

The flavor actually has intensified the next day. I’m just hooked now on these savory bites!!

3. December 12, 2013 4:44 pm

Oh, those are beautiful, Linda!

I really like the texture as well as taste. The olive oil and wine work perfectly.

Now, I need to find someone to help me eat some so I can try some more combinations!

• December 13, 2013 6:09 pm

Well, thank you Liz for your email and inspiring me!! And, yes, with a 2nd batch already made I either need to throw a party or gift bag these out!

4. December 12, 2013 5:07 pm

Excellent – I might have to make some myself ;-)

5. December 12, 2013 5:20 pm

What a brilliant appetizer! We all want it now.

6. Gina permalink
    December 12, 2013 8:23 pm

THESE LOOK DELICIOUS!!! And you must’ve come out of your writers block because your writing on this post is superb!

7. December 13, 2013 9:14 am

Oooh, savory biscotti! Love this idea. These sounds like a better texture than crackers for spreading or putting cheese on…i hate when you bite into a cracker and the whole thing falls apart!

• December 13, 2013 6:10 pm

Very true about the cracker breaking…..lol, this definitely works better!!

8. December 13, 2013 9:49 am

Sundried tomatoes, herbs and cheese in a biscotti, what could be better? These sound delightful, Linda, and a perfect accompaniment to a glass of wine or a cocktail. So festive, too, I love them!

• December 13, 2013 6:12 pm

Thanks Betsy. They are different and unexpected on a cheese platter! Hope you can try them out!

9. December 14, 2013 12:52 am

That looks absolutely delicious!! I love the wine in it. I’ve never had savory biscotti before, but man I want some now! Looks sooo delicious and I bet the smell is divine.

10. December 14, 2013 4:00 am

This is biscotti making weekend for me and I love the idea of savoury ones…can’t wait to get going. Let me go and see what it is in the fridge and pantry!

11. December 14, 2013 5:55 am

I think these are the perfect appetiser for a glass of wine. What a lovely flavour combination and how great that the recipe was easily adjustable to what you had on hand xx

12. December 14, 2013 8:51 am

Need to book mark this recipe as a perfect make ahead appetizer. Wishing you a safe and happy holiday season. BAM

13. December 14, 2013 9:55 am

These sound wonderful and very adaptable to the cheeses and herbs you happen to have.

14. December 14, 2013 8:43 pm

What a great, savory take on biscotti!

15. December 15, 2013 12:53 am

I made biscotti this week for some gifting…and wish I’d had this recipe! I’ve never thought of a savory biscotti. I will definitely make this as soon as possible. I’m very curious–it sounds so flavorful! Thank you!

16. December 16, 2013 12:13 pm

I am crazy in love with this savory biscoti recipe. It is perfect for the holidays and entertaining. Thanks for the inspiration. Now to dig around my cupboards to see what I have to get started!

• December 20, 2013 8:59 pm

Hi France, I’m so glad you like this! Really you can come up with so many combinations. Enjoy!

17. December 17, 2013 10:15 am

I have not tried savory biscotti before, but I think it would be perfect for soups, appetizers, or to accompany a cheese tray. These look delicious, Linda, you’ve inspired me!

18. David permalink
    December 18, 2013 5:18 pm

Loving the savory aspect!

19. December 18, 2013 6:11 pm

I’ve never had savory biscotti, these sound fantastic.