Santa Maria Assunta

October 6, 2014

image

My itinerary listed today as my day off.   Initially when I read that, my busy, to-do list, non-stop personality, went into panic.  Back home a day off meant from work, but chores and to-dos of my normal routine filled my “day off”.  So what was I going to do, by myself, on a day off in Italy?

First off, I slept in late…for me, 9am.  My room is very dark and the morning sun was completely hidden behind my French doors.  I actually jumped awake worried I had missed something, then realized…this was  my day off.  Honestly I had to lie there and convince myself to enjoy doing … whatever comes my way.  Il bel far niente, “the beauty of doing nothing”.

image

Ask my children, friends and family…I don’t do “doing nothing” well. I can do lots of things very well, simultaneously in fact, but not “doing nothing”.  So after my breakfast, which I was treated to momma’s homemade marbled cake (I felt very special to hear that) my cappuccino and croissant, I forced my way into relaxation with my morning yoga.

image With this view before me, tranquility set in pretty quickly.

image

So off I went to adventure, do nothing….and found this sign on the entrance to the town’s church, Santa Maria Assunta….

image

May my life be richer and happier…I think it just has become.

imageI remember my first confession…

imageI wonder who gets to sit way up there….

image

Now feeling so at peace, I walked and shopped and when hunger hit, I spotted those cute hanging tomatoes and my lunch plans were decided!

image

Back at my villa, I decided to break from my day, like they do in Italy.  I picked the basil leaves right off the plant on my terrace.  Simple, perfect, life can’t get any better than this!

imageOh, yes it can…gelato on my afternoon walk about town and my first espresso in Italy!

imageDrank like a true Italian would, standing at the bar, swirled my cup, and drank it all down!

I have so enjoyed sharing my day with you.  The sun has set, it’s time to get dressed for dinner.  My very first time dining alone..ever..and it’s in Italy!  Wish me luck!

1. JoAnne Steed permalink
    October 6, 2014 1:08 pm

Linda, your trip looks absolutely amazing!! I am taking Katie to Italy for her graduation so you will have to let me know all about that area, it has always been on my bucket list. I so enjoy reading your daily blogs about it, makes me feel like I am there. Enjoy!

• October 8, 2014 8:27 am

Hi Joanne, I’m so glad to hear from you! This has been such a great first trip to Europe. Positano is very safe and I do plan to being Gina back here, though we will travel to other places, this is the most beautiful.

2. October 6, 2014 1:44 pm

Travelling alone can be hard at first. Especially dining alone in restaurants. I had to do it a lot when I travelled on business. But you take a book, just in case, make sure you order all your favourite things and some lovely wine. Enjoy the meal, look around you – people will not be feeling sorry for you, they’re probably a little envious. Mediterranean countries seem to make it easier for women dining alone. You may end up chatting to others, you may not – but don’t let anyone force themselves onto you. Just savour the moment, the meal, the wine and the place :)

• October 7, 2014 6:59 am

Thank you Tonya, for your kind, reassuring words. Dining alone was not so awkward. These Italian men are very friendly! My server, Niño, complimented my dress, showered me with attention and kissed me good bye!

3. Carol (LaBanco) Szafalowicz permalink
    October 6, 2014 1:52 pm

They say life is a adventure……….your living it and we are lucky enough
    to listen as you go. Thank you, a great simple read. Warmly, Carol from Chicago

• October 8, 2014 8:30 am

Hi Carol, I’m glad you’re enjoying this and so glad to have met you!

4. October 6, 2014 3:03 pm

That’s a lovely day off – good luck with dinner, I’m sure it will turn out fine :-)

• October 7, 2014 7:01 am

Thanks, yes it did. It was late evening so I didn’t feel I was quite so obviously sticking out as a woman dining alone!

5. October 6, 2014 3:11 pm

Enjoy your dinner Linda! I’m sure it will be fabulous. Like you I don’t do “doing nothing” well at all. It takes serious practice for me. I think you did a fabulous job coming up with a things to do and made a lovely day out of it. :)

• October 7, 2014 7:03 am

I’m having to pull out a lot of inner confidence in this trip and did successfully dine alone. Though I so do prefer sharing with others :)

6. October 6, 2014 6:21 pm

Lovely photos

7. October 6, 2014 11:56 pm

Gorgeous architecture and photos and loving your trip. I have traveled with my husband to Europe on a business trip and I loved dining alone in Italy. A lovely meal, wine and always alfresco dining or near a window and I am a happy camper. Just be careful when you climb on your chair to get that perfect photo for your blog as that might draw a bit of attention. LOL

• October 7, 2014 7:04 am

Lol, I’m being careful but these italian men notice everything…that is, every woman!

8. October 9, 2014 1:27 am

I’ve never been a fan of dining alone but to do it in Italy, I’d definitely say yes. Everything looks so interesting. My first confession wasn’t in a nifty confessional like that. :)

9. David permalink
    October 26, 2014 9:37 am

so beautifully simple. A dinners alone can be wonderful