Pumpkin Granola

October 23, 2013

pumpkin granola_cup6

On the positive side of all my recent relocations, I’ve definitely downsized, including my pantry.  Over the last year and a half, my pantry stores the basics for healthy Mediterranean style cooking and baking.  I prepare meals mostly from scratch so having good quality basic ingredients on hand; I can easily pull together a simple and delicious meal.

pumpkin granola

One constant staple in my home is having a big batch of home-made granola on hand which I change up seasonally and use in many ways.  Granola is always great on its own, bagged up for a take home treat for guests or sprinkled over yogurt for breakfast.  The one downside is that I have to use restraint and control to not eat it all up by myself!!

So I’ve played around with different ways to use my granola, as in the top picture, a layering and sprinkling of granola over pumpkin banana soft serve makes for a sweet ending dessert that can be whipped up quickly.  To make the pumpkin banana soft serve, I just add some leftover pumpkin puree, pumpkin pie spices and maple syrup to my basic banana soft serve recipe.

pumpkin granola bites

For a little energy bite, I drop about a cup of granola into my food processor, add in some pumpkin puree (or applesauce) and some almond butter and process away till the mixture begins to form a ‘dough’.   Then I spoon out bite size portions and roll into small balls.  Allow to firm up in the refrigerator, about a cup of granola makes about 9 small bites.

granola apple pie

Taken a bit further, I will take that ‘dough’ and press it into mini tart shells, fill with sautéed apples and allow to cool for a very quick and easy healthy apple pie!!

Pumpkin Granola

5 cups rolled oats

1 cup nuts (whatever you like, pecans, walnuts, almonds, cashews – I used a mix this time)

½ cup sunflower seeds

½ cup pumpkin seeds

½ cup soy nuts

1 cup unsweetened coconut

2 tablespoons flaxseed meal

1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt

2 tablespoons cinnamon

1 heaping teaspoon cloves

¼ teaspoon grated nutmeg

1 cup pumpkin puree

¼ cup agave

¼ cup maple syrup

1 tablespoon coconut oil

½ cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Prepare a large sheet pan with a Slipat, parchment paper or lightly oiled.  In a large bowl, combine the oats through to the nutmeg, stir well.  In a separate bowl, stir the pumpkin puree, agave, syrup and coconut oil together until smooth.  Pour the pumpkin mixture over the oats and mix to blend well.  Spread the mixture onto the prepared sheet pan evenly.  Bake until golden brown, stirring every 15 minutes for about 30-40 minutes.  Remove from the oven and stir in the dried cranberries.  Cool completely, store in air tight container.  Being that I live in warm weather, I prefer to keep my granola in the refrigerator.

1. October 23, 2013 3:51 pm

That granola looks and sounds great and you have found so many uses for it besides serving it up for breakfast. I love the look of those balls – they would be a great afternoon snack xx

2. October 23, 2013 4:07 pm

What a great idea these “granola bites” – love it!

Pumpkin is on my mind at the moment, it’s hard not to be with the colors of Fall starting to fill the world around us! (I don’t like the cold, but… the colors are beautiful)

• October 25, 2013 12:00 pm

It’s hard not to have pumpkin on my mind these days! I don’t like cold either, though we just had a bit of a cooler breeze here and I was definitely loving it!!

3. October 23, 2013 6:20 pm

Wow, this is a great idea, Linda! Love the granola crust. Like an upside-down Crisp :)

• October 25, 2013 12:01 pm

Thanks Amy – the crust is really so easy and tastes soo good! Plus, I feel less guilty having apple pie in a healthy crust!

4. October 23, 2013 6:40 pm

The granola looks delicious but I’m IN LOVE with the granola bites!!! Yummy!!

5. October 23, 2013 7:13 pm

Great fall rendition on granola!

• October 25, 2013 12:03 pm

Honestly, I think Fall is my favorite season :) but then catch up with me in the Spring and I will say the same thing!

6. October 23, 2013 8:53 pm

This is definitely something I need to have in my life.

7. October 24, 2013 4:51 pm

This is such a great post and recipe, Linda. You’ve come up with some great ways to use granola and your pumpkin-banana soft serve dessert sounds delicious. What a great — and unexpected — way to end a meal. And as is the case with all of your posts, the photography is top-notch.

• October 25, 2013 12:05 pm

Thanks John, I really love using basic ingredients and incorporate them into other dishes. By far, I love the banana pumpkin soft serve!

8. October 31, 2013 12:12 am

I love granola.. and it’s so awesome to have not only a new granola recipe, but all of these wonderful ways to use it! You really are very creative, I would never have thought of making the little mini tart shells. I’m off to read your soft serve recipe! xx