Carrot Mash with Orange and Mint

November 19, 2013

carrot mashIsn’t this color just gorgeous??  I was so thrilled with this recipe, I just had to share with all you lovelies!  Just like so many of you, I’m preparing my Thanksgiving menu.  I have this huge binder of tried and true recipes that I refer to in creating my menu using traditional favorites from my mom and those newer ones that I found.  I save each year’s menu, notes and comments, guests and table settings!

This is not a holiday to throw everyone off from the traditional favorites they wait 364 days for, but I do like to add in a new surprise each year.  Though having something new is nice, I make sure to never serve a complete surprise, as in not testing it out before.  I’m not one to roast a whole turkey just to test out a side dish.  When I want to try out a new turkey recipe, I make it during this season for a Sunday meal just for the fam.  I prepared this carrot mash to go along a herb roasted pork loin.

pork loin plated2

I saw this Carrot Mash recipe in the November 2013 Fine Cooking magazine.  I’m usually pretty good at looking at a recipe and knowing that it will either taste good or not based on the ingredients and method of preparation.  Still, I test it out, especially before serving to guests.  And this one is a winner for sure in my book.  First, the color is stunning!  So fall like, orange with specks of mint.   I processed mine smooth, but they mention it can be mashed for a rustic, chunky appearance and texture.

The taste is sweet enough like a mashed sweet potato dish, the touch of butter enhances the flavor and the mint gently gives each bite an unexpected fresh taste.  It pared perfectly with my pork loin and definitely know it will be fabulous with my roasted turkey.  I tasted my leftover mash this morning and was very happy to see that this can be made a day ahead.  I think the mint becomes a bit more flavored into the dish, so if by chance you have a mint hater – do they exist really?  I guess I’d cut back on the mint, but it is just so good, trust me!!

Carrot Mash with Orange and Mint

Fine Cooking, November 2013

2 lb. carrots, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces

1 teaspoon Kosher salt

2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 2 pieces, or ghee

2  tablespoons heavy cream

2  tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

1-1/2 tablespoons. finely chopped fresh mint

1/2 teaspoon finely grated orange zest; more as needed

Hot sauce, such as Tabasco, to taste

Put the carrots in a 4-quart saucepan with enough cool water to cover by at least 1 inch. (I used chicken stock instead of the water).  Add 1 tsp. salt and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down and cook at a gentle boil until the carrots can be easily pierced with a fork, about 25 minutes.

Drain the carrots well in a colander.  Return the carrots to the hot saucepan, add in the butter, cream, oil, mint, orange zest, 1/2 tsp. salt, and a dash of hot sauce, gently allow to heat over low heat until the butter is melted and all combined.

For a rustic texture, return the carrots to the pan and mash with a potato masher to the consistency you like.

For a smooth texture (shown), purée the carrots in a food processor until smooth and then add them to the pan, stirring well to combine.

Season to taste with more orange zest, salt, or hot sauce before serving.  Can be made up to two days ahead and stored in the refrigerator.  Reheat in microwave just prior to serving.  Serves 4-6 as a side.

1. November 19, 2013 9:47 am

WOW! We both have the same recipe at the same time on our front page! :-)

we also looooooved this one….

2. November 19, 2013 9:49 am

I’ve never done mashed carrots before but after looking at these photos I’m wondering why not! :)

3. November 19, 2013 10:26 am

Wow – I’d have to try this first, but I’d consider serving it as a pudding ;-)

4. November 19, 2013 10:39 am

I too can survey a recipe and have a pretty good idea if it would work for me — I can tell you right now, this will work for me. I don’t mess with Thanksgiving much either, my family has certain things they look forward to, but I do like to introduce one new things to keep it interesting, at least for me. I’m liking the idea of fresh mint and orange, so I will either use carrots or butternut squash to mash it up … I mean, mix it up. ;)

5. November 19, 2013 10:43 am

Sounds and looks delicious! I’ve never heard of carrot mash before , what a wonderful idea! I definitely need to try this one out. Beautiful color too.

6. November 19, 2013 12:18 pm

These do look beautiful! I don’t normally like cooked carrots, but these sound tasty! I love your idea of having a Thanksgiving binder, I bet it feels wonderful to look back through the memories over the years!

7. November 19, 2013 1:28 pm

This is a great new recipe for me using carrots. They can be so boring but not with your ingredients. Looking forward to try this recipe.

8. November 19, 2013 4:58 pm

Love carrots but never think of mashing them – they look so vibrant!

9. November 19, 2013 5:41 pm

It does look very pretty as it’s so vibrant in colour. I wish we celebrated Thanksgiving! It seems to be such a big, big day. My mother used to have a book where she wrote down who came for dinner and what she served. I really should do the same. I’m sure this side dish will be a big success and how good is a dish you can prepare ahead of time! xx

10. November 19, 2013 10:38 pm

What a treat to find a new recipe that I can add to my celebration dinners! I love this idea, my carrots are always so boring, just lightly cooked and tossed with butter. I can’t wait to try this and we love mint around here!

11. November 19, 2013 10:44 pm

Tasty looking mash!

12. November 20, 2013 1:00 am

This is the first I’ve heard of a carrot mash, Linda, and it makes perfect sense. And just look at that color! I wouldn’t have a problem serving this at Thanksgiving at all. It would make a tasty addition to the table and, best of all, fulfill my “orange requirement.” :)

13. November 20, 2013 1:17 am

This looks absolutely delicious, and I, too, love the color! I’d enjoy this mash year-round!

14. November 20, 2013 5:20 am

What a great idea, I am going to try this next time we have carrots :)

15. November 20, 2013 11:39 am

Looks really lovely Linda, and a nice change of pace.

16. November 20, 2013 5:09 pm

Wow, this really is gorgeous! And orange and mint goes so well with carrots! I’m totally trying this out.

17. November 22, 2013 12:13 pm

Everyone loves their tried and true dishes at Thanksgiving but I agree that it is nice to add something new. The carrots sound great and could become the new favorite.

18. November 24, 2013 10:00 am

What a fabulous and interesting side dish this would add to our Thanksgiving table. Info wish you and your family a very happy Thanksgiving. Knowing you, it will absolutely by a delicious one.

19. November 26, 2013 8:05 am

Just looking at this, I want to grab a huge spoonful for my Thanksgiving plate! That plate of food you have there looks incredible, too. I’m off to grab some carrots to make some soup today…I’ll have to settle for that for now. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

20. Susan Donahue permalink
    November 27, 2013 12:43 pm

Any recommendations on how to warm this up or alternatives to making it ahead of time?

• November 27, 2013 7:10 pm

Hi Susan, I microwaved my leftover carrot mash and it was fine. I also just made it today (Wednesday) for Thanksgiving tomorrow and I my just serve it cold/room temp as it tastes great cold too!

21. Susan permalink
    November 27, 2013 8:40 pm

Thanks! I made the carrots today and plan to add the cream, mint, etc tomorrow when I warm it up. Looking forward to trying it!

22. November 28, 2013 7:42 am

I’m all about using carrots (or any root veggie) in a variety of ways and I can totally get behind this mash. Sounds great, but I might just roast the carrots because I’m a guy and feel compelled to roast or grill things. ;-)

Happy Turkey Day Linda! Eat, Drink, and Live Well!!